12/17/09

AA Bondy (12/1/09)

This was one of the best shows of the year for me - as is his new album When the Devil's Loose. You know, I can't even remember how I happened upon AA Bondy, but I'm glad i did. His album struck me right away with it's mellow, acoustic sound. When I saw he was performing at Akron's Musica, I knew I had to go - especially with the openers.

First up was Cleveland's own Lighthouse and the Whaler. They're a good band with a diverse sound. I like what they're working on, with the complex harmonies and all. They'll only get better with more experience.

Willy Mason was next. I'd heard his name several times before, but have never given him much time or effort. He was really pretty amazing. He took to the stage all alone, which was very appropro to his sound. Great, deep voice. Very much a loner, troubadour feel.

AA Bondy finished out the night. The subtle confidence, energy and proficiency of these guys on stage made them a joy to watch. I felt like I was watching some friends play (but really good friends). From the album I was expecting a mellower set, but these guys threw in some major rock-out sessions, playing with some intense feedback interludes. Not my favorite thing, but it worked *really* well. I swear, these guys did NO wrong on stage. I will see these guys again, any chance I can get.


AA Bondy (12/1/09)

I also have to give a shout-out to Musica for being a great venue and keeping a respectable timetable for 3 bands on a week night... and to Akron for it's gracious hosts and free downtown parking.

1 comment:

  1. I was at the show, too (I think that's my head in front of Bondy's guitar, as a matter of fact - I'm the one who requested "How Will You Meet Your End?"), and I agree that it felt like we were just hanging out, watching good friends play. That's how I described it to a friend who later went to see Bondy play at the Bowery on my recommendation.

    I'm putting serious thought into making the trek up to Ann Arbor to see him play in February.

    ReplyDelete