2/16/09

Fox Hunt (2/13/08)

This was day 3 of my 4 day concert streak. Magpies were playing at Brother’s Lounge with Fox Hunt opening. I was also planning on going to a party with my roommate, but wasn’t sure how the timing was going to work out. Turns out she wasn’t in any hurry to leave the house, so I decided to head on out to catch Fox Hunt opening, who’s songs I was really enjoying online.

I showed up at Brother’s, realizing that I’ve never been there before. I was even more surprised when I walked past the front bar to see a whole music venue in back with a sizable stage. But I have to say, after an amazing night prior at the Happy Dog, I was already turned off by the polished patrons and interior. I was hoping for some grit.

The place was busy and I saddled up to the bar to order a beer from what looked to be a college girl with super tight shirt, too much makeup, and who I thought was going to offer me a shot with a glow stick. I’m not sure why I’m turned off by such things (the bar and the people). However, these experiences are a truly personal preference. Everything else was fine. The people were nice, decent beers on tap… I would in no way want to dissuade people from patronizing this establishment. Just not my bag.

Anyway… I was ready to leave and the band hadn’t started. I got a text from the roommate saying she was leaving for the party. I had half a beer left and then Fox Hunt started playing. Damn… they were GOOD! But then I’m a sucker for a young group of cute guys jammin’ out some hard-core hillbilly. I stayed for several songs then started working my way out when I ran into Roger Hoover (Magpies lead singer). I chatted with him for a bit, apologizing for not being able to stay for their set, but also expressing my dilemma with wanting to get CD’s for Fox Hunt, but they were still performing (and the CD’s were *right* in front of the stage). He said no problem and took me up there and sold them to me. Score. Roger is so cool… It’s probably in the name.

I hope Magpies are able to bring them back around. Maybe to the Beachland next time. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment