7/31/09

Greg Laswell (7/22/09)

I was glad to see Greg Laswell coming back to Cleveland after missing him the last time he was here in March (both times at the Winchester). This time he was asking for people to sell merch for him on his MySpace blog. I figured it was a new experience and what the hell, so I signed up. It was a little more disorganized that I was hoping for, but then being a Librarian, that's usually the case. Overall it was a fun experience. I was there by 8:00 (as asked), and basically sat around. I sat through the sound check, then through Elizabeth & the Catapult, who were really good (and sold their own merch). Kind of reminded me a little of Nellie McKay with the great jazzy voice. A fun, light pop sound.

I continued to sit around through Greg's show as well. His voice was even better than I expected - wow. He played a nice mix of old and new stuff. He performed his usual cover of Girls just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi as well as a little jam of Right Here Waiting for You (but added the qualifier "unless you fuck someone else"). They were fun and I got to meet Greg for a hot second after the show. They "sold" this job as a way to meet him, but that wasn't really my motivation. I'm not much on trying to meet the artists, though it was fun to see how many people are - which you really notice when hanging out at the merch table. I never got to sell a thing until after the show ended, and then it was a blizzard of sales. It was fun, I'd do it again.

Greg Laswell (7/22/09)

Greg Laswell (7/22/09)

No comments:

Post a Comment