10/28/09

Langhorne Slim (10/21/09)

Langhorne Slim had been on my radar for some time, mostly because of my friend Robin's emphatic recommendation of him. I wasn't able to make it last time he was in town, but checked out his music and liked it. Since then he's released his new Be Set Free album, of which there are some gems on it.

Earlier that evening I skipped my Yoga class and met up with some friends for Happy Hour (a good choice sometimes). After some a couple delicious Bourbon Barrel-Aged Blackout Stouts, I headed to the Grog Shop around 9:30, but in true Grog form, the first act hadn't even started yet. Mike St. Jude & the Valentines opened. A local band who really played with some passion. Not bad. Dawes was up next. A band out of California, they were a little more polished. Again, good stuff, but nothing too moving.

Langhorne Slim took the stage around 11:30ish. By this time, the crowd had grown and shrunk a little. (I mean, this *was* a Wednesday night.) But I stuck it out based on my friend's strong recommendation. Langhorne took the stage with his band a mountain of energy. It was needed. The band was great, Langhorne was definitely energetic and I can see why people love him so. I wasn't as familiar with his songs as I would have liked, but from what I heard before, then hearing them at the show and since, Langhorne Slim has definitely settled in as a strong favorite and someone I would definitely see again. Next time on a weekend. ;-)

You may also note that I played his song Land of Dreams on Shindignation! It's worthy of a reappearance:



Langhorne Slim (10/21/09)

No comments:

Post a Comment