10/21/09

Kid Cudi (10/10/09)

It feels like this post has been a long time coming. I first heard of Kid Cudi last year and was instantly intrigued... here's this rapper from Cleveland who's incredibly creative, honest, and loves where he came from. His sound is different from some more of the traditional rap, as he's chosen some creative tracks to sample (Paul Simon / Band of Horses) and some non-traditional artists to collaborate with (MGMT / Ratatat).

I am sold. He's shown nothing but respect for his burgeoning career, he appreciates where he's been and where he's going, and he's got the chops to keep the momentum going. I'm anxious to see how far he takes this.

So after all this being said, I first found out I missed seeing him in the Grog Shop last November. Talk about true disappointment. I knew he was getting big and knew I wouldn't get that chance again. Then he showed up at the House of Blues with Asher Roth (another respectable rapper). I missed that show for Pitchfork. I thought my chances were all but done, until I heard the announcement that he was coming to Case!! Wow.

He performed at Adelbert Gymnasium, which if you've ever seen a show at a college gymnasium, they always suck. But still... you couldn't beat the proximity of the show, the $10 ticket and the $1 beers.

For his show, I think I knew just about every song. The crowd was a mix of some true fans, some underage drunk kids looking for something to do, and some international students who didn't seem to know what was up. All these elements combined made for a mediocre experience compared to my imagination of what happened during the shows I missed, but that's not to take anything away from Kid Cudi. It was just him, a DJ and BIG bouncer on stage. He's got a pretty small stature, but the really filled the stage with energy, bounding and rapping about.

I wish I could have heard more of what he was saying, but the songs were great and the beat was even better.

Kid Cudi (10/10/09)
Kid Cudi (10/10/09)
Kid Cudi (10/10/09)

No comments:

Post a Comment