2/21/09

Von Bondies (2/20/09)

Another Friday night, another show at the Grog Shop. This night Detroit's own Von Bondies were headlining, but I was as much if not more interested in the openers. First up was Cleveland's own Other Girls. Very impressive, a solid indie pop/rock band. I definitely want to hear more from these guys. I'm disappointed they didn't have any music for sale, but I'll just have to plan on going to their CD release show at the Matinee (Cleveland location) on May 15th.

Nico Vega was next. I had heard of these guys a couple weeks ago when I noticed their new album was partially produced by Linda Perry (yes, I have a soft spot in my heart for her). The songs I heard on their MySpace page were good, something a little different than what I've been listening to lately. Heavier, with a booming female lead. I wasn't quite sure what to think when they first took the stage, neither did the rest of the audience. They came out full-blast with a front woman on fire. The audience warmed up and Nico Vega responded, putting on a spirited performance. The guitarist is also a Toledo native, which I thought was interesting (even more so that he admits it... I KID). Overall I was very pleased and bought both their albums.

Nico Vega (2/20/09)

Check them out:


Gravity - Nico Vega

At this point of the night, gong out for happy hour after work was catching up with me, but I was committed to staying for the Von Bondies. They took the stage and sported two more females on electric guitar and bass. This was definitely a night highlighting some women rockers. Great to see. They were good, but I was done.

Von Bondies (2/20/09)

No comments:

Post a Comment