2/3/09

Passion Pit (1/28/09)

The hit shows just keep on comin' to The Spot. Another shockingly good night of free music, CHEAP beer and dirt-cheap wings for the Case/CIA community. I downloaded and had been enjoying Passion Pit's "Chunk of Change" EP for a couple weeks. Knowing that it would be a late week night and we were in the midst of a near blizzard, I considered not going back out on this snowy snowy night... but then I checked out the openers. The MySpace pages for both Cale Parks and Paper Route convinced me I shouldn't miss this show.

I got there early (show didn't start until nearly 10:00) and decided to munch on some of the wings I always see there. 6 for .75¢!!! Now they weren't great, but hey. They were quickly washed down with a $1.50 Dortmunder draft. Hard to beat.

The night opened with Cale Parks.

Cale Parks (1/28/09)

Um... He was good. I think he has one of the sounds that's hard to translate into a live show (i.e. the production on the album probably helps a bit). He was also trying to open the show to a distant crowd. I know it's probably not cool to be considered an urban hipster anymore, but he seemed to embody the persona with is avant-garde style of performance. Whatever, it was cool enough. Besides, he's part of Cleveland's own Aloha!

Next was Paper Route.

Paper Route (1/28/09)

These guys I would say embodied emo to the max. Long and drawn out. Very... emo, but with an upbeat sound. Again I found myself not really enjoying the sound so much, thinking it was better when I heard it online... but I realized it could also be the sound at the Spot. It was LOUD and not that clear. Regardless, you should check them out.

Finally Passion Pit.

Passion Pit (1/28/09)

Unfortunately it was getting late and I was becoming more intolerant of the sound. They came out with some of my favorite tracks right away, so I only stayed for about 5 songs. Still... they are every bit as fun as I expected them to be. And now the more I listen to Chunk of Change, the more I *really* enjoy it. Here's two of my favorites. I DEFINITELY plan on catching them in Akron in March.


Sleepy Head - Passion Pit

Ive Got Your Number - Passion Pit

No comments:

Post a Comment